Sunday, 29 July 2007

The Sampler

This is a sampler that I started some time ago, but have now nearly finished.

It seems to be missing something, but I am not really sure what it is......

This design is worked on a scrap of linen I found in the cupboard. It was too narrow to really do anything with, so I thought a long sampler might be a great idea. I have worked it using a single thread and have been using scrap thread leftover from all those cross-stitch kits I have completed.

The Bucket 'O Thread

The designs come from a number of different books and have been slightly modified to fit the piece of linen. I think it will look great onced framed.

Thursday, 26 July 2007

The New Lace Pillow

After many years of searching, I have finally been able to buy myself a roller pillow for lace making. I searched on eBay one day and there it was. I had to check twice to make sure I wasn't mistaken. There was no way that I was going to miss out on that pillow.


The great thing is now I can happily make metres of lace, although I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do with it. I think I will start with a few simple patterns from Elwyn Kenn's book "Point Ground Patterns from Australia". I have tried a few out before on a round pillow, with success, but the pieces were only small.

I think I will try and make a few metres of one of the long lengths and then turn it into a garter for a wedding present. But first I need to finish all the other projects I have been working on.

Tuesday, 24 July 2007

Kitchen Things

Not really sure why, but I felt it was necessary to go on a kitchen crochet spree. So a trip to the bead shop was a must and I came home with bags of beads (because you never know when you might need them). It was time to try my hand at some milk jug covers.

Does anyone actually use them these days?

Attempt one was not too complicated, but with some fair results. Nice simple and small, with plain white beads, because that's what the lady at the bead store said I should try. I think a little boring....

So here we go with attempt number two, a little more complicated, but this time using many multicoloured, antique, handmade beads bought many years ago at a market. Very happy this time, but it has been claimed by my mother, who "really loves it and it would be so nice to have one like that". Oh well, here we go again....


Fine, a lot of beads are good, but what if we double the beads and use two sizes of beads. Surely that will look better still. This is the latest milk jug cover. It has been increased in size and is not actually flat, this allows it to sit better on larger jugs. It was quite a challenge, but it uses all glass beads and is quite heavy, but sits really well on water jugs and the like.

Finally, I just had to try and make a cloth for the long narrow bread basket. I am quite pleased with the results of this one. This was a first attempt to crochet a filet crochet item that increased and decreased in size. The border took some time to get right, but I don't think it turned out too bad. (By the way my mother also conveniently has a long narrow bread basket as well, maybe it's time to make another one....)

Monday, 23 July 2007

The ANZAC Mat

This is the ANZAC mat that has been hiding in my cupboard for a while, so I thought I might take it out and finally finish it. The main body has been completed and it has been reshaped. I am putting the last round of the border in now and then it just needs a tea stain and a reshaping.

Why is it that the last round seems to take forever?

PS. Just discovered that this design is an adaptation of the one in the Powerhouse Museum.

Friday, 20 July 2007

The Lace Fan

This is my first attempt at making a lace fan. I used approximately 80 pairs of bobbins and it was completed using special dentelles thread #80 in black and has shiny black seed beads throughout. It has been mounted on a lilac shantung silk. I borrowed most of the bobbins and the pillow from my lacemaking teacher and if I recall correctly, it took around 6 months to complete.

Thursday, 19 July 2007

The Second Attempt!!

Well a few hours work and a bag full of new wool (because I can never just buy a little bit) and we have the beanie mark II. This time I used a slightly lighter material and now it looks more like a tea cosy, but fits much better and best of all stays on the head.

Friday, 6 July 2007

The Beanie or better known as the "winter helmet"

The days had been getting colder and The Chicken needed to keep her head warm, she needed a beanie, but not any old beanie, a special hand crocheted by mummy beanie. So I shuffled through the piles of wool and there was nothing inspiring...... then I remembered the wool I picked up when I was actually shopping for beading elastic (I always seem to get side tracked).

The pattern was really easy and I kept calling The Chicken back to check on the size of the beanie, much to her annoyance.

Once it was finished it looked quite cute, I tried it on The Chicken and somehow it looked like she was wearing a helmet. From now on it shall be named the "winter helmet". One problem though, fluffy wool means something that must be explored. The winter helmet now spends more time off and in the mouth than keeping her warm. Maybe I will just have to make another one.....